What are the Advantages of Migrating to the Cloud?
In recent times, the cloud’s popularity has exploded and led to the cloud becoming a must-have infrastructure for a significant amount of businesses. Given the sudden mass-adoption of the cloud infrastructure, you may be left wondering whether or not, you too, should migrate.
In this post we will be taking a look at the biggest advantages of migrating to the cloud, so that you can have a better idea of whether or not migration is the right decision for you.
What are the Benefits of Cloud Migration?
There are many key features that make businesses choose to migrate to the cloud. Some may be very useful to you, others may not matter as much for your particular business. Here are some of the key advantages of cloud migration:
- Lower Costs – By not having to buy traditional physical hardware, you can be saving a significant amount of money by using the cloud infrastructure. You also won’t have to worry about maintenance costs like with a traditional system. The common pay-as-you-go style system also means you’re only paying when you need to utilise resources, as opposed to constantly paying for a licence that isn’t going to be used all the time.
- Scalability – A huge advantage of cloud migration is the scalability it provides. You can start out on a small scale and adjust according to the resources you need. This is much quicker and simpler than a physical system and it means you’ll never need to worry about running out of resources.
- Mobile Access – One of the more obvious benefits of cloud migration is the remote access it provides. You can access your files and systems from anywhere with an internet connection. This is vastly different from traditional systems where you would need to be on the same network.
- Automated Backups – Should you ever have an issue with lost or corrupt data, you needn’t worry nearly as much if you’re implementing a cloud system, most cloud systems will automatically backup your business data. You can choose how regularly you want your data to be backed up based on your needs.
Our Recommendations for Cloud Migration
If you’re planning on migrating over to the cloud, there are various things you can do for added efficiency and security during the migration process. Here are a few things Appoly recommend for a smooth migration:
- Encrypt Files – For added security during the migration process, we recommend you use an encrypted file format when moving files between servers. By encrypting your files, you are ensuring that even if your files were to be lost, stolen or hacked, nobody else will be able to access them.
- Only Migrate the Necessities – Before rushing to migrate everything within your systems, we recommend you first filter through your software and data and decide, based on usage and necessity, which items you need migrating and which items might be best kept on-site. Doing this will save time and money, making your cloud migration more efficient.
- Utilise Professionals – If you’re not comfortable with performing the migration yourself, you should always use a professional to perform the initial migration. Your data is an important asset to your business, and saving a few pennies isn’t worth giving your data to an attacker, or losing it altogether.
Contact Appoly for Cloud Infrastructure Services
If you feel your business could benefit from cloud infrastructure services and would like to speak to a professional, get in touch with Appoly today and we’ll happily discuss your cloud migration plans and answer any questions you may have regarding the service.
Starting a new project?
Fill in the form below to download our brief of requirements template: